A guide to targeting the right visitor at the right time.
To begin targeting visitors, you will need to create a journey or click on an existing journey. If you have not created a journey, click "Get started." You will then be taken through a preset menu that will assist you with creating a journey.
Click on the journey you created.
Select the kabob menu in the top right corner of the screen. Click on "Edit Targeting."
Select the targeting criteria(s) you would like to use.
If you created an adblock recovery journey, the "Adblocking" criteria will be turned on by default. Similarly, if you created a subscription journey, the "Subscription Status" will be turned on by default, and will be set to only target non-subscribers.
One of the most commonly used criteria is the "URL Path." Use this to engage or not engage visitors based on their URL path.
Follow the example below if you do not want to engage visitors on the homepage. For this to work properly, you must select "Not be engaged", enter a forward slash as the path, and turn off "Include Subpaths."
Full List of Targeting Criteria
- Adblocking: Target visitors based on their adblocking status.
- Acceptable Ads: Typically, this is used to not engage visitors who have Acceptable Ads turned on within their adblocker. Note: Most adblock extensions now have Acceptable Ads turned on by default. If you choose to not engage visitors who allow Acceptable Ads, you will recover less revenue.
- Subscription Status: Select this if you do not want to engage subscribers with this engage. Or, conversely, select this if you only want to engage subscribers with this engage.
- Domain: Select this to choose to engage or not engage on a specific domain
- Device Type: Target by Desktop or Mobile device.
- Browser: Target by browser type.
- Referrer: Target visitors based on the webpage from which they were referred.
- Location: Target visitors by their country, state, or zip code. You can also target all EU countries by selecting "Europe." See FAQs for a full list of EU countries.
- URL Path: Target or choose to not target based on visitor’s URL path. For instance, you may choose to not engage visitors on your homepage (see example GIF above). Or, for users visiting URL path "/sports", you may target them with an engage that is specific to sports.
- Portion of Eligible Visitors: Target a specific percentage of eligible visitors.
- Cookie: Target visitors based on their cookies on your site.
- Query Parameters: Target visitors based on values that occur in the query string of a URL.
- Accepted Offers: Target visitors who have accepted specific offers. Note: A visitor who has accepted an offer in the past is much more likely to accept one in the future.
- Logged in Status: Target visitors who either have a login or don’t have a login.
- Visitor Surge: Target visitors on a page experiencing a sudden spike in traffic, until the spike ends.
- Page Popularity: Target visitors on your most popular pages (20 pages or less). Admiral keeps track of the top 20 pages on your site, refreshed every 10 minutes.
Remember to save your targeting criteria. Activate your journey once you have completed all of your desired changes to the journey (including designing the engage message).
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I target visitors using cookies with HttpOnly set on them?
- Location targeting can be targeted to all of "Europe". What countries does this include?
- Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.